07.01.16 | LANDON'S FIFTH BIRTHDAY

For Landon's fifth birthday (5th?!!?) he only had one request: candy.  Gosh darn it, that's what he got!  I'm pretty sure he loved it. c;  We still have quite a bit of candy left and it's been nearly two months now but whatever.  He's worth it.  I can't ever seem to remember to take pictures of the party decor anymore and then when I asked Justin to take pictures of Landon opening up his gifts he got about five before his phone filled up.  Oops!  So here's a little recap:
Landon started his birthday at school with a little celebration.  He had yummy cake, a birthday crown, two birthday badges (one from home and one from school) and was pretty excited to have his classmates sing to him.
We had two parties this year: one for his friends and one for family.  This picture is from the friend party.  We probably could've gotten away with only one party but doing it this way was less stressful for us and it gave the kids more room to play.  I tried making gumdrop-shaped cake pops in place of a cake and once again, I failed.  Never again will I try to make cake pops!  Those of you that can successfully make a batch: I commend you.  Instead, I drove to Costco that morning and picked up a cake.  c;  We had tons of food (I totally overbought, again): all sorts of crackers, chips and dip, veggies, fruit, pink lemonade, soda, water (for which I bought cute little candy-themed bottle wrappers that didn't work for my bottled water!) and I think that's it? 
For the family party we had leftover cake from the day before and we also had some chocolate/vanilla swirled cupcakes.
That up there is Landon opening some of his presents from the friend party.  The thing to his left was a punch-through game that I made for the kids.  I got the idea from pinterest (duh).  It was a good alternative to a piñata, and it fit the candy theme.  It was supposed to look like candy dots.  Can you see it?  I had the dots filled with bubbles, a ring pop, a bouncy ball and I want to say there was one more thing but I can't remember for the life of me.  Each kid got to choose a hole to punch through and keep what was inside.  I had marked the back of one of the holes and was going to give the kid that chose that one a huge swirled lollipop but the kids tore into the game before I even had a chance to explain anything, hah!  So I've got four giant lollipops if anyone wants one.
Up there you can kind of see the candy table.  We had a dum-dum tree, M&M's, mini York peppermint patties, some of those unwrapped Kit Kat bars and Twix, gumdrops, Skittles, Jolly Ranchers and Pixie Sticks.  I think that's it?  When the kids first arrived I had a little station set up where they could make candy bracelets.  They could choose from hard or gummy Life Savers, mint Life Savers, Peach-O's and I'm sure there was something more but oh well.  I spent forever looking for candy decorations and had decided I would just settle on a rainbow-type theme for serveware and décor but at the last minute, Hobby Lobby pulled through!  They had a whole section (with two different styles) of candy party décor.  It was great!  We didn't get a pic of the gift bags but I got most everything at the dollar store.  They were little blue tubs (three for $1) that I filled with Pop Rocks, a toothbrush, glow in the dark candy stickers,  a crazy straw and a glow stick.  There were 12 gift bags in total and I ended up doing half with a mini gumball machine (that the kids could fill up with Skittles or M&M's if they wanted) and the other half with a little notepad and pen that looked like a lollipop.  I thought they were super cute. 
A couple of months before Landon's birthday my dad asked me what I thought about him making Landon a loft bed for his present.  Both Justin and I thought it was a great idea so my dad secretly made it, came over and put it together while I had the kids away from the house and surprised Landon with it when we came home.  Since my dad was giving him a new bed, I only saw it fitting to get Landon a whole new bedspread to go with it (that was our present to him).  Target has the cutest line of kids bedding right now called Pillowfort and OH MY GOSH, I'm obsessed.  We got him this sheet set, this bear pillow (which he has since named Joey the Bear), and this quilt and the matching pillow sham.  I still want to get him this pillow, this wall sign, and this arrow plaque.  Who am I kidding, I want everything!! I'm already thinking ahead for Claire and want to get her this unicorn wall décor, this quilt (but in purple, my store had it in purple.  Please please please still have it in purple?!) and this rosette pillow.  She's already told me she wants these sheets!  Okay, back to Landon.  c;
He was so surprised and incredibly happy about his new bed!  He loves it so so so much.  And we do too!  It's a little difficult to change the sheets and he sometimes has accidents when he can't make it down quick enough but it's getting better every day!
I couldn't do a post without throwing a cute picture of Claire playing with one of Landon's new birthday toys while he was at school.
And I also couldn't do a birthday post about Landon without a picture of him with one of his new favorite things: Legos.  That kid impresses me on the daily with how well he follows directions and puts those things together all by himself.  He loves them so much and is always asking if we can go to the store and get some more Legos. 

All in all, I think our little guy had a great time turning five!

1 comment:

  1. fun! Can't believe our men are 5!! Also, that pic of Claire looks EXACTLY like you!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the input!